My aim is true.

11 December 2008

Actual Work

For starters, my job is to make sure what people are donating to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints matches what the ward clerk says they donate and what the bank gets. I also need to research other things like why banks make adjustments to deposits because addition is wrong on the clerk's part. There are a myriad of reasons why I can keep my job.

On that note.

Today, I received an email asking why a ward (let's call it Smith Ward) was out of balance for 2006. I, having very little knowledge about the financial system, went and asked for help from a co-worker. We looked at the statement and found that, yes, the Smith Ward had extra money in 2006. But where did it come from? We looked at ward statements, reports, and correspondence between us and the ward for about an hour. We found that, yes, the ward was credited twice. The problem lies with the amount of time it took the clerk/bank to find the funds and deposit them and the fact that it happened over the end of a fiscal year. Here is the email I sent to them:

(Insert name here),

We found the issue.

The original deposit was in May 2006. The $(insert amount here) was lost. It was found later that year and the bank credited our account $(insert amount here) in December 2006 and we matched it off with a Teller Entry in February 2007. In the meantime, the ward noticed $(insert amount here) was missing and filed a lost funds report. We matched the May 2006 deposit with the lost funds case, which reimbursed the ward rounding up to the nearest dollar; therefore, crediting the ward twice. As far as we can tell, the ward didn't notice the original deposit was found and credited. This is why there was a duplication of funds. (Insert boss's name here) reversed a duplicate credit and that will show up on the December statement. If you have any questions you can give them a ring.

Thanks!
Allison
Senior Accounting Clerk
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Bank Concentration
(insert contact info here)

Now, this made me feel very proud. I was excited to find out that I got to help this ward find out why they were out of balance.

2 Comments:

Blogger FPrince said...

I think that's a good use of time. Go research and answers. Can you work on that exit strategy we were talking about?

22:37

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

I think the exit strategy should have been in place before we even had an entrance strategy.

12:37

 

Post a Comment

<< Home