My aim is true.

20 August 2008

Dell, where you need a computer to buy a computer

I purchased my Toshiba Satellite in March 2004. This is when I was getting ready to deploy. I don’t do computers now so imagine me back in 2004 getting advice from everybody that “knows” computers. What do I do? I ask the person that I know knows computers, Klink. Klink told me exactly what I wanted and I found a computer that included (insert computer lingo here) and an internal wireless internet card. This was a big selling point for me because everyone else’s wireless internet stuff was sticking out of their laptops. I took my new purchase back to the barracks and everyone was amazed that I got a computer with exactly what was needed and an internal wireless internet card. Thanks Klink! I love my Toshiba but in computer years it’s been at Del Boca Vista for a while.

My mom has approached me three times about the computer I currently have. I’ve commented that I’m sure I’ve been virused again because it’s running superwayslow and I have neither the time nor the money to get it swept again. Honestly, I think once they get a hold of your IP address, you’re screwed anyway. Last time I got virused my computer went to Geek Squad. A week and $450 later I had my computer and fresh antivirus. It was as if the day my antivirus subscription ran out (and again, college student funds are few and far between) it all came back again (Norton conspiracy?). I went over to my brother’s house on Sunday to enjoy a little Lego’s Indiana Jones, spaghetti, and The Truman Show. Then my brother, my mom, and I sat down and talked about how crappy my computer is and how nice a new one would be.

My mom has a line of credit at dell.com so they are helping me purchase a new computer. I’m getting the Studio 15 in plum purple with matching plum purple wireless optical mouse. I’m also getting a new messenger bag specifically made for the Studio 15 that has a purple shoulder strap. I’m pretty excited about it.

I know you all tried to get me to come to the Apple side. My only argument here is that I’m paralyzed without a right click. They probably make special mice for the Apple that have right click capabilities but I’d really much rather stay with the PC style.

One thing I really wanted to touch on today is the question “Whatever happened to going to the computer store, grabbing the computer, paying for it, and taking it home?” As I was customizing my new Studio 15, I was at the computer with my brother and mom talking about all my different options as to hard drive capacity, processor speed, wireless capabilities, sound cards, screen choices for an hour. An hour? Are you freakin’ kidding me? It walks you step by step through all the options but, come on, I’m not a gamer, I’m probably not going to watch movies on it, and I don’t need AOL.

I’m still totally stoked about my new computer. I need to give it a name. I'll figure that out later but for right now...Go Bruins!

3 Comments:

Blogger ashleyjw13 said...

I would tell you to go to the Apple side too but since you already purchased what sounds like a totally sweet computer I'll refrain.

My only concern is you're going to have the same virus issues with this one as you did the last one B/C it's a PC. That's one of my favorite things that Mac's do.

But congrats on the totally sweet purchase. Being poor sucks and I'm not even an undergrad anymore *sigh*

19:11

 
Blogger ashleyjw13 said...

*sorry, incomplete thought. I shall now fix:

One of my favorite things Macs do is automatically give you virus protection.

Sorry, it's the second day of school and I just realized I'm exhausted.

19:13

 
Blogger Matsby said...

Yeah, you have to have a computer to buy a computer. Good point. It's ridiculous.

I went to Circut City and asked the idiot employee there if they had ____ CD. He said he wasn't sure and that I should go on line to find out.

Sometimes I hate the world we now live in.

Anyway, that's cool. Just make sure you don't download anything from virus dot com this time.

11:09

 

Post a Comment

<< Home