My aim is true.

10 September 2006

Virus Update

Thank you, Jeremy, for what you tried to do with my computer.

Friday, I took my computer to the Best Buy Geek Squad (they are on call 24 hours a day because none of them can land dates). After running a system check up popped a screen with what exactly was wrong with my computer. The list follows:

Trojan-back-door
Spyware
Addware

On a scale from green good zone to red danger zone my computer was well in the red danger zone (there were no jets taking off from an aircraft carrier). In fact I'm surprised a box didn't pop up that read, "You're screwed. Buy a new computer." While in the process of telling me what my options were about my computer the very cute Geek Squad guy informed me that none of the work done to my computer will be charged hourly (thank goodness for that one). Jointly we sold antispyware and antivirus protection to a wonderful middle aged couple that really needed it.

An hour and a half, a $425 charge and a $600 in-house credit line later I walked out of the place.

Fast forward to today. Yes, I know it's Sunday, but I had this feeling I need to go see what was up with my computer. I asked if it was ready and the other very cute Geek Squad guy told me that he found another virus on it. Okay, that I can handle. His next sentence was thus, "There were also two hackers using your computer but we took them off."

Come again?

"Two?"

"Yep."

"Now does that put me at risk for identity theft?"

"It can."

It was one of those this happens to other people moments. Virus I understand. That is what happens to computers that have no antivirus protections (Allison crosses herself and apologizes to the computer gods). I never thought it would come down to hackers using my computer. Which rises a list of questions that I'm sure the Geek Squad guys won't be able to answer:

What did they do with my computer?
How is this accomplished?
How does someone learn they can do this?
How do they find the computers that are easiest to hack?
Once this is fixed how can I keep this from happening in the future?

It is still sinking in. Not just a hacker, two hackers.

Last summer when I was starting automatic bill pay and pay on-line accounts I thought it was going to be easier. Less stress on my life. Now I'm glad that everytime I went to do it I got this resounding "Allison, this isn't a good idea." Now I know what that was all about.

Why do I always have to learn lessons the hard and expensive way?

12 Comments:

Blogger Blake Baker said...

Wow that stinks. I would have warned you but I thought everybody used an antivirus program. Make sure you get something to take care of spy/adware too.

22:52

 
Blogger T.R. said...

I wonder if it was the Geek squad that hacked your computer.....






(x files music)

18:46

 
Blogger Matsby said...

Time for a Mac.

And I don't mean that in a Daddy Mack/Kriss Kross kind of way either...

Or in a hamburger way...

I am also not talking about the Scottish people here...

Maybe I should say that it is time you get a Macintosh Computer.

17:10

 
Blogger Awright13 said...

Dang, so is your identity okay? Has anyone been using your name for anything? The suspence is killing me!

18:38

 
Blogger FPrince said...

This is what I've been telling Creativity since Day 1 that she complained of problems with her PC (for Pretty Crappy, Pet Cart, and Point Crank).

20:46

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

If it was the Geek Squad guys that hacked my computer I want my money back.

22:52

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

I've never seen the X Files.

22:53

 
Blogger Chester The Bear said...

Don't feel bad. I have every safeguard known to man on my machine. There's the firewall, and the other firewall, and the antivirus thingmy, and TeaTimer, all there because if you're going to get screwed, use protection!

In fact, if I hadn't been so good at getting dates, I could easily have qualified for Geek Squad duty.

I've still got stuff happening on my machine so now I don't care any more.

You want my identity? Hey... with my credit rating, you can have it!

15:20

 
Blogger Chester The Bear said...

And doesn't it P you off when "Rob" puts spam in your comments?

15:21

 
Blogger FPrince said...

Rob is a thorn in my side.

Chester you're invited to my Office Party too. I know you'd come if the ocean and a lot of other matter and space and time weren't in the way of reasonable travel.

It's tonight.

09:11

 
Blogger Laverna said...

It could be worse . . . it could have been more hackers . . . never mind. Your identity intact or are you now schizophrenic?

13:47

 
Blogger Chester The Bear said...

Damn. Tonight. But UA 812 doesn't get in to LAX until tomorrow. Sorry babe. Enjoy the party, and the documentary.

Actually, UA 812 arrives in at LAX BEFORE it leaves Sydney. Really. This whole date line/time thing just confuses my straw brain.

Like, when you're 10am, it's already the next day here.

And no, I can't tell you who won the Yankees Rays game last night (oh, sorry, tonight your time). We're not allowed.

17:01

 

Post a Comment

<< Home