My aim is true.

18 January 2008

Sociology

Let me start today's installment off with I can no longer study at Dee's Family Restaurant because there is too much going on. I've been in my Sociology class for two weeks and already I'm looking at the world as social groups.

This brings me to why I wanted to post about Sociology. I have a paper due on the 29th about having a different sociological experience. "5. Attend an activity that is opposite or distinctly different than what you are accustomed to (different church, sporting event, social group, political meeting, school board). Write about how the experience was different from your normal social behavior."

Here's the problem: I was raised in West Valley City and went to a junior high school that had a gang population; I've attended Catholic Mass, Jewish Shabbat, Christian worship services and studied Scientology; I was raised in a staunch Republican family and am a registered Democrat; I'm a woman that was in the military as a vehicle mechanic; I've worked in grocery, construction, food service and in an office; I've been to hell and back and I'm supposed to find something I've never done and go somewhere I've never been.

One thing I can think of that I've never done is attend a "Mormon" church service. You say to yourself, "Allison, you're a Mormon." I would like to submit that I am not. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm not a Mormon. I believe being Mormon is a cultural choice and being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is an emotional and spiritual choice. Think, conversion.

(*DISCLAIMER* I know we are all on our own rung of our very own spiritual ladder. This post in no way compares me to you on whichever rung we happen to be on. I am only comparing myself to myself and the experiences I've had in my life with the experiences I've had and am going to have*)

Is it possible to have a completly different cultural experience as I venture to a Utah County Singles Ward?

What will the differences be when I go from my culturally and politically diverse family ward to a not so diverse singles ward?

What will happen when I hear the phrase "Fiber of my being" and want to vomit?

These questions and more will be answered on Sunday.

8 Comments:

Blogger Awright13 said...

Have you thought about going to Wendover (sp?) and checking out the diversity there? I'm not sure if you've gambled for a while but it might be fun. Or you could hang out at a gas station for a while and check out the wackos that hang out there. Just a thought. OR you could come to Colorado and re-check out the weirdos here! I hear that's a great idea!

16:55

 
Blogger Mostly Jessica said...

I think that ANY singles ward would be a new cultural experience. Besides, it sounds like your choice is that or a ward in Colorado City or Hilldale.
(Please note that I do not consider the FLDS church and the LDS church the same.)

13:59

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

ron & jessica, I hear you. The FLDS and the LDS chruches are completely different things.

17:51

 
Blogger Urban Koda said...

Good call on the differences between being a mormon and an LDS member!!

I was going to suggest the drum circle, but suspect you might fit in well there too - and I mean that as a compliment!

14:09

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

V I mean Koda - I thought about going to the drum circle then I realized it's like five degrees outside. Do they hold them indoors when it's cold? I've been once and in the summer I might be taking more walks to Liberty Park to check out more hippies. I think they're rad.

19:15

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

And thanks for the compliment.

19:16

 
Blogger Laverna said...

Wow. I think you're incredibly brave. (Not just because of your project, but the whole of your life)
Going to a singles' ward was something I never dared do.
I take that back. I did go to a singles' ward about two months ago for a cousin's mission farewell.
It was really funny because we were this HUGE family group sitting in the center section with all the singles filling in the perimiter.
I don't think they've had such a noisy sacrament meeting in a long time.

08:58

 
Blogger Matsby said...

Be careful about the Singles Ward. Be very, very careful. I went to one ONCE. And I nearly lost the faith.

I once had a class where we were assigned to befriend a person of a different race and then write a paper about them.

I didn't feel comfortable about that. And not because of the race thing (my wife is black after all).

My point is be glad you don't have to aproach someone ask their race and then befriend them - and fear them finding out that the friendship was an assignment.

08:37

 

Post a Comment

<< Home