My aim is true.

19 February 2008

The Streets of 400 South and 700 East

Not where they intersect but the streets themselves.

Let's start with my least favorite street in Salt Lake City, 400 South.

I hate 400 South. There are lights on every block from Main Street to 900 East and if you miss one, your once short commute from purchasing I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou and The Children of Men by P.D. James at the Barnes and Noble at the Gateway leaves you wondering why you didn't go to the one in Sugarhouse. I've never had any luck with 400 South and I've lived Downtown for two and a half years. I try to avoid 400 South at all costs but sometimes it's necessary, like when I want a Jamba Juice or need to return a movie to Hollywood Video. On those mornings I feel like a Jamba Juice or need to return a movie to Hollywood Video, I always get to the light on 900 East and 400 South too late to trigger the arrow. That forces me to wait another light cycle making me even more late for work. There are so many fast food restaurants on 400 South that I can never make up my mind about what I want for dinner. I mostly hate the light on every block thing.

Next, my second most least favorite street in Salt Lake City, 700 East.

I use 700 East to get to work everyday. If it weren't so convienent, I wouldn't take it. Everyone on 700 East seem to be in a grand hurry. They cut people off, they tail people, they speed. People drive on 700 East as if their grandmother is dying and they need to go say goodbye (this phrase has caught on with my sister "I don't care if your grandmother is dying, obey the law." Let's make this the new, "Hey, man, stop doing stupid things while your driving"). Unlike 400 South, which has an overabundance of food stops, 700 East has a few that strike my fancy. When I need to study or read, I go to Dees. But since that's $15 a pop, I have to make the trek to 400 South, where I'm caught in the light on every block thing. I mostly hate the speeding thing.

Each street has it's pros and cons. Well mostly cons. The biggest con is that they are in an endless cycle of hate by Allison.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laverna said...

I use 700 East to get to school -- and you're right about driving on it. If it weren't so convenient, I wouldn't use it. The thing that amazes me is that the plows don't get to it (at least not very quickly) where it curves into Van Winkle, and that's a scary turn when it's snowy.
In a lot of ways, I like the bus.

07:29

 
Blogger Urban Koda said...

I think the problem with 700 East, is that people head down State until about 400 South, at which point they decide that there is too much traffic on State and so head east to take 700 East. After facing traffic lights on each block, they then get to 700 East, pissed off about the lights, on top of being pissed off about the traffic on State, and so you end up with doubly pissy people, who are now also late and trying to make up the time.

I live up North, so avoidance is fairly easy. You have my sympathy though.

07:38

 
Blogger badgermiddlemas said...

I bet that grandma died from either eating at a restaurant on 4th South or Speeding on 7th east. I am usually a 2-15 fan myself, except that I live on campus now.

13:12

 

Post a Comment

<< Home