My aim is true.

18 November 2006

It happened again.

If you don't know the story about the guy that had a great summer click here.
If you do know the story about the guy that had a great summer read on.

It freakin' happend again.

With a blind date no less. He fell the freak in love with me...in four hours.

This is a phenomenon I would really love to study. I might as well. It has happend to me twice.

First my friend called me Thursday night to ask if I wanted to be set up for a Sigma Gamma Chi date night. Sure, why the hell not? What bad could happen? She describes him: 5'7", medium build, got back from Iraq. This perks my interest, a fellow soldier.

The night starts out well. He comes to pick me up. 10 minutes early. That bugged because I couldn't put mascara on...which, in my 20/20 hind sight, was a good thing. He takes a look around my apartment and says, "Wow, nice place. Do you have roommates?" This is a common question. "Nope," I always reply.

I ask him about Iraq. Turns out he couldn't hack. After only two months in country he went home due to anxiety problems. It was something he couldn't help but it could've been treated in country.

I try to exchange deployment stories with him but I can tell he isn't having. His face was very upset so I decided to change the subject. Music. He told me he plays the bass guitar. Cool.

We pull up to Cafe Rio for dinner all the while I'm doing a lot of talking. We get our food and take our seats. He starts fishing. "If you didn't know I was 29 how old do you think I am?" I'm thinking to myself, "You're trying too hard." Since I don't disappoint I say, "I'd guess 25ish." He grins and thanks me. As he was smiling he reached under the table and touched my thigh...no good. I quickly push his hand away.

We head out for roller skating.

This is an Instutute activity. Usually cash only. He busts out the wallet and opens it. Like a cartoon, a moth flies out from where the notes are usually held. I close my eyes and smile while shaking my head. "Is there an ATM anywhere?" I ask. The dude says there's one over in the corner. We start to head that way when his chapter advisor pops up behind us and says, "You need cash, son?" All the while the dudes at the table are tyring to tell him that he can pay later. His advisor drops a fiver and three singles on the table and tells us to have a good time.

WHO GOES ON A DATE WITHOUT PULLING $20 OUT OF THEIR BANK ACCOUNT?
THIS GUY.

We get our roller skates. I tell him that it has been at least 10 years since I've been roller skating. As I was getting back in the groove again he is skating like a pro. "I grew up down the street from here. I was here often." I'm thinking, "Well, while you were honing your skating skills I was out gaining a personality." The only thing I could think to reply was, "Awesome."

He tries to grab my waist a few times. I quickly bat his hands off of me.

He skates in front of me really fast at times lapping me and leaving me alone for a good portion of the evening. That really pissed me off.

All night he is dropping hints about us running around Liberty Park together or me helping him formulate a myspace page or, in short, another date. I smile and shrug it off.

It gets to be about 11:30. I look at him and say, "I'm getting kinda tired."

We go over to our stuff and change into our shoes.

We get to driving. We are enterchangeing between I-15 and I-215 when he asks if he could call me sometime. I laughed. Is that harsh? Laughing?

I think he got it. I thought, "Too soon, buddy. Too soon. Wait until the doorstep."

The rest of the drive was filled with awkwardness. Now I know what this awkwardness is that everyone keeps telling me about.

He pulls up to my building and parks the car. Once the car is off I practically fly out of the car. He's waiting in the car. I was confused. I look at him and say, "Aren't you going to walk me to my door?" His reply, "I wasn't sure if you wanted to hang out." I shook my head, "No."

We get to the doorstep. I unlocked my door and opened it. I thank him for a great time and push my hand out. We shake hands and I retreat into my apartment. I collapse onto my floor, whimpering.

Why can't I find someone to just take me to coffee? pardon hot chocolate? Why can't someone just take me for a walk and talk to me and get to know me?

Oh and another thing. The backpedaling. A Rage Against the Machine song came on and he said, "Yeah, Rage." My quick reply was, "I don't like Rage." To which he said, "Yeah, I really kinda don't like them either." For the love of the children.

Back to the point. I really hate the fact that this happens to me. Does this happen to other people? Why are people so willing to bend over backward for something that will never happen? Why do people need to freak out so bad about finding that special someone?

I guess the irony is I want companionship. I am not willing to quickly change my life for someone that I think might be "the one." What you freakin' see is what you freakin' get. Don't like the upfront, truthful Allison, step aside.

13 Comments:

Blogger Matsby said...

Wow, those are trully messed up stories. For some reason I missed the one with the summer guy, but they are both really funny/ sad/ pathetic(for the guys).

But creativity escapes me and all I can say is: Wow! what dorks!

I can't believe guys are that clueless...

11:04

 
Blogger Awright13 said...

I think that's why I've been single for so long is there are a lot of people in the world like so-said fellow(s). The try to be who you want them to be in hopes that you will fall for who they're not and they can get married. It's lame, but it's happened to me several time. My most recent was a guy I dated for a few weeks and told him I didn't feel strongly enough to continue the relationship and he begged me (no joke) to give a chance, "just a bit longer Ash! How do you know it's not something that could work for you when we haven't been dating for all that long?" Sorry dude, I pretty much knew about week one that you weren't for me. These last two weeks have been about avoidance and trying to see if you'll catch the hint. They never do of course. Bravo for standing up for you morals though. You know they say you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince...meh, i'm up for just the kissing, but you know what I mean ;-)

12:14

 
Blogger Awright13 said...

Looking over what I wrote, i've decided that I suck at spelling, grammar, and punctuation today. Please forgive my inadaquecy and continue on.

12:16

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

The Chinese Fortune Cookie says all. After eating my noodles at Panda today I cracked open my cookie and read my much anticipated forutne:

Your magnetic personality will draw people to you.

Ha.

17:22

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

Gatsby, you seemed to land a woman. How are you so normal?

Your return has been an anticipated day.

17:25

 
Blogger FPrince said...

My Mom was giddy I repeat GIDDY when she came up with the brilliant "Michelle, your Prince has come! He really has!" UGH! We laugh about it all the time because she brings it up all the time. Oy.

I read these tales and I just have to say that I really do know what you're going through. Oh, the awkward. The awkward that drips. That reaks. That soaks and slurries. That tiptoes and retreats and then messes on itself. I hate Hate HATE the awkward, the backpedaling apologetic no backbone afraid of his own moral shadow guy. I dated that guy. Several times.
Now I have to say, I'm happy. I'm thankful. He's not weird. No weirder than me, at least.

19:27

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I think you made a crucial error right at the start of the date. Actually, two crucial errors for a blind date.

The first was that you let him pick you up. The one who controls the car controls the date. Either you meet him there or you pick him up. (The first option is deadly for dorks because you can drive yourself home any time you like.)

The second was when he asked you if you have a room mate. Your answer should have been "yes". That's because the thought process going through his boy brain was something like "oh wow... no room mate... I'm going to get laid". (Sorry... but we men are rather simplistic creatures.)

As a bear who's been on more dates that is probably legal where you live, I speak with some authority here. (And don't think membership to the dork club is restricted to men either... some of the stories about girls that I could tell... woo... but this is your blog...)

My only advice to you is the same advice I have given many of my formerly single female friends. Just relax. There are some great guys out there. You just have to forgive them long enough for them to get over their stupid first date awkwardness (which often lasts 3 or 4 dates until they figure out you're not 'easy').

How does that expression go..? Oh yes...

If you want to find a prince, you're probably going to have to kiss a lot of frogs.

14:55

 
Blogger Matsby said...

Well, I was lucky that I found me a high-quality wife. I admit that I am not always the easiest person to deal with, but luckily for me, my wife is very superficial and all she really cares about is looks - something I got plenty of...

14:54

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky Gatsby.

Mine was very superficial too, but all she cared about was the money, the lifestyle and the travel.

Today, she's with someone with more money and a jet.

Of course, Creativity's problem is that she's not superficial.

00:22

 
Blogger Awright13 said...

So the key to happiness is to be shallow? Wow, it's so simple!

00:19

 
Blogger Creativity Escapes Me said...

Kissing frogs is the easy part. I've kissed probably one winner...he went on a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

And about being superficial.

I've tried that. The conversation went like-a so:

creativity: I was watching election coverage and it lookes like the Rebublicans are going to take the House again.

Hot Guy: That's great, Sweetheart. I was a The Gap the other day and I got this $80 pair of socks.

creativity: I don't think you understand, if they stay in Congress and the Senate we are not going to see any positive change in the political world. (I need to keep this pretty generic because he didn't understand the difference between republican and Republican)

HG: Doll, I really don't care. Wanna make out?

If I can't talk to him about politics, current events, movies and music then he's going to be kicked to the curb.

You're right, I'm not superficial. There's more to life than unkempt hair, five o'clock shadow, height and blue eyes...but it would be nice.

08:52

 
Blogger FPrince said...

"There's more to life than unkempt hair, five o'clock shadow, height and blue eyes...but it would be nice."

I laughed outloud. He he he. Posers.

11:15

 
Blogger Blake Baker said...

Wow, have I been out of the loop. Creativity, bravo, bra-vo. That was a ripping yarn laced with well timed hilarity. At least you got a fun story out of the deal.

20:54

 

Post a Comment

<< Home